Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Break in the action - again ( time to reflect?.)

Deja vu all over again
Last week I was sent home again without getting my third infusion of the second round. Same story as with the first round; my platelet count had dropped too far to risk a third infusion of the cycle. 


After the first break my counts had rebounded to a level well above where they were before starting chemo. But even after reducing the dosage for the second round they have dropped even further than before at this stage of my cycle.

So I get another two-week break. I don't mind this because this round has been harder than the first. Not so much that the effects were any worse, it was more that they didn't get better like they did the first round.


Comparing the first and second rounds
Round 1:
Infusion 1: Carboplaten 752 mg. and Gemcitabine 2100 mg.
Infusion 2: Gemcitabine 2100 mg.
Infusion 3: Canceled - low platelets.
Round 2:
Infusion 1: Carboplaten 752 mg. and Gemcitabine 1680 mg.
Infusion 2: Gemcitabine 1680 mg.
Infusion 3: Canceled - low platelets.


The first round seemed more intense. Maybe only because I didn't know what to expect. I had a rush of energy after the first infusion. This energy lasted two days ('we' count days including the day of infusion) which was probably due to the steroids. On Wednesday I crashed and took a long nap (longer than normal) to get through the day. Then I settled into a sort of general crappy feeling for the rest of the week and through the weekend. The following Monday I felt great - back to normal. Ready for the second infusion - this time just Gemzar.

After the infusion of Gemzar I was very tired and I had a weird panic attack. I felt bad crappy for a couple days but after that I felt pretty good for the remainder of the week. We travelled north for the weekend to meet some relatives who were visiting from Arizona. When I went in for the third infusion they told me my counts were too low and we'd take two weeks off instead of one before starting the next round.

The second round started with that pain during infusion due to the leakage from the I-V. The first week went about the same except I didn't feel great on the following Monday. The general crappy feeling extended through the second infusion and lasted the whole second week. I was just starting to come out of it when I went for my third treatment and they told me my counts were too low again and I could go home.

It's always hard to get through this break because I start having doubts. I wonder about the decision I made to take the neo-adjunct chemo instead of having the surgery right away (get it out of there). I wonder about aches and pains in my back (are they signs that I'm having kidney problems - spread of the cancer or side effects of the chemo?).

Debi saves me by offering reassurances; "Keith Richard's wife went through the exact same thing and she is just fine after two years." And she was quick to point out; "Your sore back is from bouncing around on a tractor for three days while working in the woods."

Okay, now I'm ready for the third round. Maybe I'll do better. This will be the last chemo before surgery. Bring it on ....

No comments: