Wednesday, June 26, 2019

At risk of sounding too happy....

Yesterday was hard. The front brake on my bike had been broken for about a week and I was waiting on a cable ( it was taking this long for various reasons).

 I've been noticing a tender spot on my stomach and I have thought it caused simply by a run-in with a piece of machinery. I heal slower these days from such things.

The chorus of little voices in the back of your mind whisper "what if it's more?". And pretty soon my perspective shifts slightly and the world around me becomes more distant. The projects that I'm working on seem less relevant -- less important. Should I even be bothering with refinishing this old chair -- building this clock -- planting this garden? It's a terrible feeling. Maybe it's depression.

Then my new brake cable came in the mail. I fixed my bike and this morning I went for a long ride. Maybe all that long a ride but it was far enough to bring me back to my world.

Tonight I umpired for a U14 girl's softball game. It'd been a few weeks since I'd ump'd and this had been fading into the distance as well. It's back now. I'm back now.

For these little things and for the big thing like my loving family and close friends, I am truly happier than I have ever been.

No comments: