Monday, September 13, 2010

chemo: week 6 - Is it routine yet?

Today is Monday, the last day of the fifth week. This completes the week of the first treatment that I've had before - again. (what?) Anyway, I now can compare the progression of symptoms over two replicate weeks to see if there is any change that may be caused either by environmental effects or some additive effect of the drugs (or change - strengthening or weakinging - in how my system tolerates them).

Looking back on the first week (first chemo) by this time - 7 days into the dose - I was feeling great again. That Monday I was no longer feeling queasy or 'hot in my core'. Now, today, I feel okay but I'm not feeling great. I have that yucky feeling still but it's just not as bad as it's been all week (since Thursday, anyway). Other than that the week has been pretty much the same.

Except for my hand - where the IV was put in. That is sore and swollen. My ring finger is red and swollen and I've taken my wedding ring off (while I could). I have no grip with that hand and if I forget and try to grab something I get a shooting pain. After the first couple days of cold packs I am now soaking it in hot water a couple times a day. It has been getting better all week. The redness is gone and the swelling and soreness is going down. My grip is improving - I forgot while pulling weeds in the garden and it reminded me, however.

I've survived the second dose of Carboplatin and Gemzar. Tomorrow just the Gemzar.

No comments: