Sunday, September 12, 2010

chemo: week 5 - it's back and the novelty is gone.

Week 5 began Tuesday morning at the clinic with a New Nurse. She was very young and seemed a little uneasy with the idea of sticking me with the IV needle. She tried my right hand first (I suggested a switch from the past two weeks in my left). She said I had 'rolling veins' but she should be able to get it. (This is the first I've heard of 'rolling veins'.) She tried once and got it - but it got away (or something like that). She asked if I'd like someone else to try it - this time on the left hand - and I said; "No, give it another try." (while she was working on my right hand, Chemo Nurse walked by and mouthed; "every one's veins roll"). New Nurse got it this time and it seemed like everything was going well.

About half way through the steroid infusion (second anti-nausea bag) my arm and hand started hurting. It helped to raise it up so New Nurse brought me a second pillow for support. She said the steroid rarely hurts - the Gemze is more likely to hurt. (that's the next bag). 

Between bags, Chemo Nurse stopped by to check the needle placement and said it was in the vein and working properly - something about back-flow. Sure enough the Gemzee did hurt so they slowed the pump which helped. The Carboplatin wasn't supposed to hurt - and it didn't - but they kept the pump slowed just in case. This meant an extra hour in the chair but the time goes fast.  Debi is there to fetch anything I need, to talk, to play games (haven't had time so far), makes the time go.

The novelty of the rest of the weeks experience is worn off already. The first two days (remaining Tuesday and Wednesday) I am busy keeping busy. I get a lot done on my woodworking projects and any other jobs that are waiting. This burst of energy lasts until around Thursday noon when I crash. I sleep. Wake up and feel tired and 'crappy' and then go back to sleep some more. It seems like the first week I got better after a couple days but this week it's held on through Saturday.

Saturday is better and I do get some work done. I sawed up the tops for two more stools and gathered some more acorns (squirrels had broken into my stash and eaten half a pickle pail of red oak acorns). I had to beg out of a birthday party for my grandson in Chicago. After the fact, I am glad I did. It would've been tough.

So, week 5 in a nutshell:
  1. Back in the program. 
  2. Novelty has worn off. 
  3. Reality check with the IV's (next time I ask for Chemo Nurse to stick me).
  4. When I say 'I feel fine' it means I'm not physically ill at the moment. Chemo lowers your standards for what feeling fine means. 
  5. I miss the Grandkids.

No comments: