Friday, April 26, 2013

Winding down and Moving On

A real winter has happened this year in Madison.

I haven't been keeping up with this blog because I haven't been able to ride bike due to the snow and ice that have just kept coming all winter. Most years we get snow and then it gets warm and the snow melts and the bike paths and sidewalks open up again. This year they didn't.

It was a great year for ice skating, however, so I did that. The route from my house to campus (and this coffee shop) crosses a big lake and I don't go there.  So I ended up skating in much smaller circles on the ice at a local lagoon.

No news is good news...


The other reason I haven't written is that there really isn't much to tell. And, unlike cable news channels, I don't feel the need to 'report' if there's nothing going on.

I have gotten quite comfortable with my 'new' body and it's demands are becoming automatic (mundane?) and fading from my consciousness. Not to say that I'm ignoring them. I have kept the new habits that are designed to mitigate any chance of a relapse and to strengthen my remaining body and it's organs. And I continue to strive to minimize stress upon these systems by drinking lots of water, a nutritious diet, regular exercise, and a healthy environment.

... for now??


I will keep writing but since it is off topic for this blog I will probably concentrate on other blogs and my own web site. Thank you for reading. I will pick this up again if and when there is something to write. Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or new information relating to bladder cancer or cancer in general. Or if you'd like to share your own experiences. I would love to hear from you.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you for reaching this season!

There was a great story in April's Esquire magazine about a urologist doing amazing work with stem cells and his hopes for growing bladders and kidneys from them.

Continue to take care of yourself and enjoy your life. Cancer is not the only peril in ths world.

Paul Blais said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I am on the front end of this process (http://paulblais.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-next-thing.html) and finding that my cancer is a bit more tenacious than my doc was hoping for (http://paulblais.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunny-and-dark.html). He said I have a 50/50 chance of keeping my bladder. I don't like those odds.
But your blog is telling me that there is life after neobladder. Thanks again for sharing.

Jack Pynesapp said...

Thanks for the tip and the good wishes. Of course the April edition of Esquire was checked out of the library but I'll keep checking.