Monday, November 15, 2010

Last week before surgery.

November 14: Down to the wire...


I've spent the past 4 weeks trying to get back into shape and recover from the effects of Chemo. I have been riding bike to campus (4 miles one way) at least 3 times per week. I've spent some time at the farm working on pruning the trees and removing some saw logs for lumber. I've been building stools and stands from this lumber and working around the yard and garage, cleaning up and preparing for winter.

I haven't been blogging because (I think) I am feeling good about this surgery and I don't want to dwell on it too much for fear it might start scaring me. I mainly want to get it over with so I can put it past me and move on. I'll deal with whatever I need to deal with but the not knowing (even with all the information you still don't really know).

I still wish there were some other way - but I am convinced this way is the best treatment available (this I believe).

I have been working with The Center for Patient Partnerships at the UW-Madison. They provide patient advocacy services.  This has helped to the extent it is someone to talk to who has worked with patients before me and they have access to information that I may not.  They have suggested that I contact some of this doctor's former patients if I have questions about the procedure and the recovery. I expressed interest in the different options and how previous patients of each felt about their choices. After thinking about this I couldn't imagine how anything they might say would cause me to change my mind about my choice so I haven't followed up on this.

Aches and pains: 
I still feel well. I have aches and pains but these are not that unusual. My lower back hurts - I have a crick in my hip area so that when I move a certain way I get a 'shock' along the top of my hip bone (crest of the ilium). Of course every pain I get 'means' something now.  My lower abdomen feels funny and may be related to my bladder. There is some pain in the area but it's hard to tell if it's intestinal (the cabbage I ate last night). My shoulder still aches from falling on my bike and I attribute my hip soreness to this as well.  I had my pre-op physical and passed with flying colors. My doctor agrees with everything I'm doing and tells me this surgeon is very good (would she say that about anyone at this point?) but he looks like he's about 12. We agreed that everyone looks that way to us now days. LOL

That's enough of this. ..




1 comment:

Kathryn VanHorn said...

You story is so very similar to ours. Same stage 2, same age... similar as he retired and this came next. We are at the pre surgery stage (July14th). He just had a cat scan and the doc called to say they see something on the kidney and will confer with the oncology doctor to see how it will be approached but to keep on with all of our appointments. Your story has brought me much knowledge and comfort. We are so very scared.... as I am sure you know.