Friday, July 23, 2010

TransUrethral Resection of Bladder Tumor

Trans urethral resection of bladder tumor.

TURBT.

All the preliminaries take a lot of time.

Vital signs
new temperature sensor is just passed across your forehead. ('brain scan')

Fitting for IV.

Visit with Anesthesiologist - George. He asked if I had any family history two times during the visit. We have a new word in our family vocabulary; 'A George'. He is an MD.

Hook up antibiotics to IV.

Take two pills for nausia from anesthesia. PA and computer caught discrepancy in order (nice). DR had injection on 'chart' but PA knew that he always gave it in pill form. Humanity in system. Nice.

Wait. and Wait some more.

1:30 Dr stops in to say the show is ready to start.

Ride to OR. Jack up gurney and scoot over onto UroSkope - don't hit head on display. They have a special setup just for this sort of thing. Impressive.

Attendent says 'I've attached a drip that will start making you drowsy and a little numb. I tried to remember the bed time prayer: "Now I lay me down to sleep. Pray the lord my soul to keep, If I die before I wake, Pray the lord my soul to take. I got most of it. That's all I remember.

I woke up at a quarter after (something). Another person was asking me how I felt. I was fine. She said I had a cathiter. I asked if Dr had put the chemo in. She said 'yes'. I said 'that's good'. It meant that she didn't have to cut too deep.

She asked who I had waiting. I said "Yes". She asked if I wanted her to go get her. I said 'Yes, please'.

After about 45 minutes PA started a flush procedure to get the chemo out. She had to run a gallon of saline through my bladder. Since they only put in the 2-way cath. (only one tube - since they were planning on me keeping it in to go home) she would have to fill me up and then drain me through the same tube by swapping lines. She could do little under a quart per. and it took about an hour.

I took the first pain pill. Mainly for the sore penis whenever she moved the hose it stung.

Scheduled appointment with Urologist in 5 days to discuss results. Went home with catheter.

No comments: