Saturday, July 17, 2010

Urgent care

I have been trying to drink a lot of water at the request of my Urologist. Since the Cytoscope visit I have had to get to the bathroom quickly whenever I got up from sitting or laying down. This morning was the opposite. It's seemed like I couldn't go and I had a great deal of pain and bloated feeling. I was afraid I was filling up and stuck.

I went to the urgent care and quickly got to see a doctor (they weren't too busy yet). After hearing about the possibility of needing a catheter, they found a bladder scanner. This is an ultrasound-like device that registers a number that corresponds to how full your bladder is. Mine registered empty.

Apparently the pain from the infection was just like the pain from an over full bladder and this had caused me to stop drinking water. The doctor said I was on the right course of treatment (antibiotic) and this should clear up in a couple days. She wondered why I hadn't been placed on antibiotics immediately after the cytoscope procedure - said it used to be SOP.

I had a couple cups of water while still in the exam room and was able to pee before leaving the clinic. Whew.

No comments: